Thursday, May 22, 2014

All About Me

May 20, 2014

All About Me

My name is Cara Pinti. I recently finished my MAT degree where I am certified to teach Mathematics in grades 5-Adult.  I graduated from FSU in May of 2013.

I was born and raised in Iowa where I went to college and later Palmer College of Chiropractic. Yes, I am a chiropractor who has chosen to teach.  I have always had the love for learning and teaching seemed to be a good fit for me now that I am a wife and mother of three daughters.

I live in Bridgeport, WV where I have been substitute teaching this past year. I am hoping to obtain a full-time teaching job in a middle school or high school when the opportunity arises. Teaching has become an incredibly rewarding job for me regardless of the demands of the educational system.

I am currently not enrolled in a specific program but wish to explore the different options for another certification. Since technology has become such an integral part of the teaching/learning process I chose this class to help precipitate and facilitate my learning. I hope to develop a better perspective about the resources that are available to teachers.

Classes I have taken in the Masters Program:

EDUC 6300
EDUC 6301
EDUC 6302
EDUC 6303
EDUC 6195
EDUC 6304
EDUC 6490
EDUC 6320
EDUC 6295
EDUC 6495
READ 6315

Literacy Video

I thought this to be rather appropriate since I am a math teacher.  In fact I have had many students who struggle to recognize the literacy associated with mathematics.  Math has language of its own.

  
 joke_image02


9 comments:

  1. Cara, Math is a language of its own for sure! I don't have a background in Math and have not taken a math course in over 7 years. The only technology I have ever used for math was the good old calculator! Good luck in the job search!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Cara! Back in class again? Nice to see you here.. we've spent many hours working together, virtually, in sooo many classes!!! Looking forward to it again!!!

    After spending time with 8th grade math this past year, I definitely have a greater appreciation for math teachers! Kudos for pursuing that field!!! You deserve a medal! lol

    Good luck this summer!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find it quite wonderful that you have chosen teaching. The field needs more individuals like you with a true passion to help children. I couldn't help but notice that you had a Pirates shirts on. My husband and I love going to watch the Pirates. I wish you the best of luck this summer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the chiropractor to teacher path! I admire people who switch careers because they are risk-takers and that says a lot about a person. God bless you for getting a math certification and I doubt you have any trouble finding a full-time position! Good luck :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Math is definitely its own language! I'm a Pre-Veterinarian/researcher, so I have a bit of a different background as well. I enjoy teaching science and would rather be inspiring kids. I think it is awesome that you are looking into the technology program at FSU. I think you'll really like it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cara-
    I currently teach math as well so I can completely appreciate students thinking you are teaching a foreign language! WOW-it is so impressive that you have your chiropractor degree/license and still want to teach! Definitely shows that it is a passion that cannot be ignored! How did you become to move to WV from Iowa?
    Good luck this semester!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Cara,
    It's not everyday that you encounter a teacher and a chiropractor! That's an interesting combination, however I'm glad you are following your heart with teaching. I currently teach 5th grade math and find the students very into technology for EVERYTHING! They want to use ipads to look up definitions and want to watch and engage with videos I show them. I have found it difficult to get them to do TechSteps, which are predetermined lessons that use technology, and it is a challenge as they know the common language such as "click" instead of select. I'm hoping this course will help me find ways to bridge that language barrier with my students. Good luck this semester!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Cara... I wonder if I will be one of those who continues taking classes after I get my masters... Probably. Nice to be another class with you. Your cartoon is great.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Cara! I got my Master's and PhD from Iowa State! Being from California moving to Iowa was a culture shock but it helped prepare me for the move to West Virginia...which I now love!

    ReplyDelete