Thursday, May 22, 2014

Digital Media Effects on Conventional Reading and Writing Practices

May 20, 2014



"Essentially, the huge opportunities and options for creating text (email, tweets, blogs) cause us to write (or type) more than we ordinarily would.  The result is that we are less careful with our words.
“We type far more than we used to and are producing massive amounts of text compared to what we used to write,” Baron says. “And because of the amount of writing we are doing, we tend to devalue what we write. How much do we edit or care about what we post online to god knows whom? How much are we making sure to represent ourselves carefully?”" (Karp 2010)

I found this article by Karp very non-biased in reference to digital media and language.  I know there is so much to be said about this technology age and how students are less apt to engage in reading and fluent writing with all the devices that are available to them.  I agree that this is a valid concern but I there is something to be said about the value we place on creating text.  I know the emphasis should be on how we want this language to represent each of us.  As educators we should stress the relevance and importance of technology but stress the importance of choosing wisely the language and wording we do.

"The question of how to value different kinds of reading is complicated because people read for many reasons. There is the level required of daily life — to follow the instructions in a manual or to analyze a mortgage contract. Then there is a more sophisticated level that opens the doors to elite education and professions. And, of course, people read for entertainment, as well as for intellectual or emotional rewards." (Rich 2008)

This comment really hit home for me when I evaluate the pros and cons of technology.  I realize there are many reasons people read and there is the need for complex language and understanding.  Much of what we read requires basic cognition and comprehension.  On a more complex level we need to read for understanding and application.  Otherwise reading can be for entertainment and enjoyment.

After reading this article I could completely understand the frustration of this mother.  Being a mother of three pre-teen and teenage girls I find it very difficult to motivate them to read for educational purpose but even more for leisure.  Our rapidly growing need for online activity in this digital age is sweeping the country.  Children would rather use Youtube or the social media networking sites to be "connected" rather than call or write a friend.  I find it interesting how "lost" the young people of this decade feel without Internet.  

I know I have become more tech "savvy" in the recent years because you have to stay up to date with technology.  Yes, I own an iPhone, and iPad and even a MacBook and I would feel "lost" without them.  I do see the need for technology and I have found it to be my friend. I do feel more comfortable with my devices because I know the digital age of learning is upon us.

The short video provided an interesting twist to my theories of how texting has affected our language.  I have considered the enormous amount of texting that is done to be a detriment to our society and I have even made comments about how young people's spelling and grammar have declined.  I did see this speaker's perspective on TEDTalks as an encouragement to me.  The comment he made referring to "fingered speech" was a better way to address this type of communication.  I do see the need to advance with technology but I have mixed feelings on a positive outcome.  I guess I would consider myself more of a Traditionalist but growing closer to a Web Evangelist. Hopefully after this class I will have a better perspective on the benefits of technology for teaching in this new media age.


References
 Karp, J. (2010, January 26). Does Digital Media Make Us Bad Writers? | Spotlight on Digital Media and Learning. Does Digital Media Make Us Bad Writers?. Retrieved May 20, 2014, from http://spotlight.macfound.org/featured-stories/entry/does-digital-media-make-us-bad-writers 

 Rich, M. (2008, July 26). Literacy Debate: Online, R U Really Reading?. The New York Times. Retrieved May 20, 2014, from http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/27/books/27reading.html

(20142013). TEDTalks : Films Media Group.
teach what you love

6 comments:

  1. Hello Cara,

    Your math cartoon made me LOL!! Thank you so much for your insightful commentaries on the required readings. I have always been a reader, loved to read from an early age for enjoyment, still do, and I am now a writer. I tried to get my daughter to read for enjoyment from an early age but she has never wanted to do that. It was frustrating for me. She is an elementary school teacher now (and special education at East Park Elementary), so it just goes to show us that we are all different and learn in different ways. We must keep our minds open to all learning and not just what we think is the best way. I look forward to sharing with you throughout this class.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree with on how today we feel lost without the internet. The sad thing is I can’t imagine going back to not have a cell phone or computer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cara - oh the trials and tribulations of trying to get preteens, teens.. well, just about ANYBODY to read these days... .. it's enough to drive a librarian to tears!!! lol

    I'm with you.. a reformed Traditionalist! lol I was steadfast in my "old" ways, but I can definitely see the benefit of technology - how it can benefit students with a myriad of abilities, interests, and skill sets. Also, by providing our students the opportunities to practice these technology skills, we are better preparing them for their futures!

    I think that balance is the key: cultivating technological skills while still incorporating "traditional" skills for a solid foundation. It's a tricky balance, but we educators are, no doubt, up for the challenge!

    Nice post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cara-
    I also agree that today we would feel lost without the internet. I even rely heavily on having the internet on my phone! I use google search several times through the day to answer questions! I also think texting has really hurt our written language. Kids are a lot more careless with spelling and grammar and many of them do not even know how to construct a proper paragraph; let alone an essay. It's worrisome. I am also very concerned with how children have no interest in reading. Video games have a lot to do with this I think! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have no idea how I will feel about communication technology when my own children are old enough to use it. (Who knows what technology will be like then, too). But you bring up some great points... and it's hard for me to preach to young people to put down the "device" when I check mine frequently, both for work and for pleasure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cara,
    I agree with you about becoming more "tech savvy." I also own and iPhone, iPad and a Macbook, well any product that Apple makes! lol You are right the way the times and media is changing, we have to change with it or be left behind. I have two teenage cousins who like your daughter only read when it comes to social media. They love Youtube and Instagram and Snap chat. The last books they read for pleasure were the Hunger Games but I think they had to read the for school any ways. I asked them to go to the bookstore with me and my year old daughter last weekend, they looked at me like I was crazy.

    ReplyDelete